#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2019/08/22/hidden-history-the-nazi-soviet-pact-which-russia-now-tries-t

<https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2019/08/22/hidden-history-the-nazi-soviet-pact-which-russia-now-tries-t>
The author says, “...the Soviet Union was on the same side of the war as
Hitler.”
I am not convinced that this was case.  No doubt many instances can be cited of
Stalin’s co-operation with Hitler, eg. allowing a German vessel to reach the
Pacific by way of the territorial waters of the USSR.  Also the author cites a
joint parade.  But to me the common sense meaning of being “on the same side”
of the war means going into combat together.   I am not aware that that
happened, although I’d have to admit the the division of Poland might qualify
as that.

Further on the Nazi-Soviet pact, this account by John Riddell.

https://johnriddell.com/2019/08/14/my-encounter-with-the-trotskyist-movement/#more-5479

<https://johnriddell.com/2019/08/14/my-encounter-with-the-trotskyist-movement/#more-5479>
Soon the conversation turned to the 1939 Stalin-Hitler pact that ushered in
World War 2. I gave the standard defense: the Soviet Union was forced to accept
the treaty in order to win time and gain a geographical buffer to fend off a
likely German attack.

Dowson countered by informing me that, after the pact, the official Communist
movement abruptly cancelled their campaign in Canada and globally to unite
progressive forces against fascism. Then he voiced an idea that was totally new
to me and that I immediately found convincing. What the Soviet Union may have
gained militarily through the pact, Dowson said, counted for little compared to
the impact of alienation and disorientation caused among its millions of
supporters worldwide.