#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I'm unconvinced by any side in this.
For example the citation in wiki Dayne provided actually is from "Institute
of National Remembrance", the Holocaust denying arm for the
ultra-nationalist Polish state that has been attempting to revise Polish
history to make all Poles look like flaming Unitarian liberals. Note, too,
that the "Beria order" doesn't exist on paper and even this "Institute"
fails to provide a single reference to back this up. Scholars that have
sought to blame the USSR usually, as I understand it, come from very strong
anti-communist backgrounds who seek to sow any trouble in Russian history
at the feet of communists. Not to say they are wrong, of course, but rather
there is real issue with documentation that points to too MANY culprits in
what happened there. So much of this history is blinded by ideological bias
I wouldn't support one side or the other.

David Walters