#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Left isolationism and digging oneself deeper and deeper in to entrenched
positions is the bane of some Leftists. I do not want to
justify myself , by denying a hundredth time any support for Hindutva. It is
the invention of some people here, who have little regard    for other's views
and least idea about what the communists in India are fighting for. That might
be because India gets low priority in
the Western media, including Leftist oriented journals. And there is scope for
a lot of bias.

But here in India, for those that work actively in the Leftist movement, a
realization is dawning that this internecine fighting is what
had led to the loss of confidence of the people. I remember the days when
fighting comrades holding different views was given more
priority than fighting the class enemy, but now it is history.

Now, the picture is changing for the better. I do not brag that total Left
unity will be ushered in, but certainly, the traditional
animosity between CPI, CPI(M) and CPI(ML) is cooling off. For example, in my
home state, Andhra Pradesh, a good number of
joint meetings are being held regularly to discuss the rise of Communal fascism
and the Left's failure to contain it. One such meeting
was called by CPI(ML) comrades in Guntur in Andhra Pradesh. The meeting was
held in CPI(M) office and intellectuals from CPI,
CPI(M)  and CPI(ML) spoke to a large gathering. The subject of the discussion
was, "Latest Developments in Capitalism and its
impact on India." I was one of the speakers and I noticed that there was and
atmosphere of camaraderie and a realisation that "if we
don't hang together, we will surely be hanged separately." Mutual recrimination
was totally absent and one speaker from CPI(ML)
said, "Let us put aside our differences and try to build a common struggle. The
reason for failure is that, no one group is correct in
understanding the Indian reality and the truth lies somewhere in between." I
said, "if we agree on eight issues out of ten, then the
two issues on which we differ should not hold us back from working together."
Many mass struggles in India are being waged on a
common Left platform and even on Kashmir issue, Many ML groups agree with CPI
and CPI(M). I am making this statement out of
my experience of working and interacting in the movement along with other Left
comrades.
Vijaya Kumar