#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Louis Proyect wrote

Many people associate country music with those whom Hillary Clinton called “deplorables” or those Obama characterized as clinging to their guns and religion. I felt that way myself until I got to Houston in 1973 and began listening to country music driving to work each day. This was before the two country stations had become commercialized and unlistenable just as is the case with NYC’s WNSH (as in Nashville). You could hear Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Loretta Lynn, and even classics from Hank Williams in each and every hour. It also helped that my best friend in Houston, the late Nelson Blackstock, was an avid country music fan with a large collection. The two of us used to go hear Asleep at the Wheel whenever they were in town. This was a Western Swing band that played in the style of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. It was led by Ray Benson, a Jew from Philadelphia who Nelson adored.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2019/10/12/country-music/
“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
--Duke Ellington

That's how I feel about country music. I didn't like country music when I was growing up in the Midwest. I associated it with bad hooch, roadside joints and mean-spirited, red-eyed drunks. When I got to California in the 50s, I heard the Alabama group Mattox Brothers and Rose performing "Laid Around and Played Around This Old Town Too Long' and the for its time risque 'Sally Let Your Bangs Hang Down', then Lester Flatt and the incomparable Earl Scruggs on banjo, the blind Doc Watson in Ashland, OR in one of the most eerie cloudbursts I've ever been in, then the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's double album 'Will the Circle be Unbroken' with gracious old Mother Maybelle Carter, A.P. Carter's wife and June Carter's mother, Doc Watson, Merle Travis, Earl Scruggs, Vassar Clements and Roy Acuff. I had been listening mainly to jazz and baroque and other classics, but I decided this too was really good music, as was and is a lot of reggae, rock, old and new ballads and rap. While much of any original music type, given the nature of the business rapidly becomes commercial and vapidly routinized, in every genre somebody always comes along who's doing it right. So Duke, yeah.