#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Many of us have been deeply affected by the bullying of people we greatly
admire,

(2017: UK transgender rights row intensifies as book fair is cancelled
 This article is more than 1 year old

Accusations of ‘transphobia’ have led to bitter divisions within Labour and the
Women’s Equality party, feminist and anarchist movements

"The rows “are going on within all sorts of social movements”, said Helen
Steel, the veteran social justice campaigner known for her role in taking on
McDonald’s in the 1997 “McLibel” case.

Steel, who is among those caught up in the book fair controversy, said that
until now, discussion had “taken place in a bubble that has agreed with
itself”. She added: “Now that those ideas are actually going to be translated
into law, other people are becoming aware of those proposals and say, ‘hang on
– can we have time to consider the implications properly and let women have a
say in how our lives may be affected by these changes?’”

She said she had been left traumatised<https://helensteel12.wordpress.com/> by
her experience at the book fair, claiming she was surrounded by a “baying mob”
after intervening to stop the bullying of two women who had been distributing
leaflets about the GRA.

I have been aware that women have been bullied on this issue for a long time
now but, until it happened to me, I was not aware of the extent of the bullying
and am shocked by it,” Steel said. “I have been an environmental and social
justice campaigner for most of my life. In all that time, I have never
experienced such a toxic environment.”

Opponents of Steel and the other feminists assert that to have allowed the
distribution of the leaflets was to create an environment in which transphobia
was encouraged, discriminating against a group of people who already experience
high rates of suicide, poverty and persecution."

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/nov/26/transgender-anarchist-book-fair-transphobia-row

Andrew Coates