#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

 A lot of work is coming out of the experiences of working-class folks in
higher ed...again Tasha Rennels is prominent. This addresses the
stereotypes of working-class rural identities, rather than reifying them.

"From the Trailer Park to the Ivory Tower and Somewhere in Between: A
Critical Autoethnography of Class Performativity in Academe Tasha R.
Rennels Department of Communication University of South Florida

Abstract
Many academics hail from working-class backgrounds but there often is
reluctance to reveal this information within the ivory tower—a space
notoriously associated with privilege. This essay continues the work of
unconventional scholars who yearn to debunk the common assumption that the
academy is a space of middle-class homogeneity. Instead of denying my
working-class identity, as I have done for the past decade, I embrace it. I
share how the stigma of being a working-class woman in a presumed
middle-class space is lived, felt, and managed via class performativity. My
hope is that the stories I write provide a space of resistance for those in
academe, specifically graduate students, who may not have the resources
live up to its middle-class expectations. The larger this space can become,
the greater potential there is for members of the academic community to
accept and make a way for those with limited means.

--

J.A. Masko

"The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without
becoming disillusioned."

           Antonio Gramsci.