#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

> On Feb 12, 2020, at 11:07 AM, John Reimann via Marxism
> <marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> Yes, debt does have to be repaid. Or, put another way, the US government
> does have to pay back those loans/bonds and T notes, or at least there has
> to be confidence that it will do so. At some point, as the world becomes
> flooded with dollars, the only way that the US government can maintain that
> confidence will be to increase the interest rate paid on those instruments.
> Does anybody think that won't have an affect?

The US only has to issue bonds and T-bills because it’s a discretionary legal
requirement imposed by Congress; there is no other basis for that requirement.
I realize you aren’t going to read any of the materials that deal with all of
this, but I’m not going to waste any more time dealing with fundamental
misunderstandings like this. They’ve been dealt with at length in the MMT
literature.