#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Jesse Jackson called the DLC "Defenders of the Leisure Class."  Bill
Clinton resigned as DLC chair to run for president in 1992.  The Clinton
administration promptly betrayed the wide-open opportunity to enact
single-payer healthcare:
David Corn reporting in The Nation magazine, April 26, 1993:
"Health Care Reform - Round 1 BIG PLAYERS VS. SINGLE PAYER"
 . . .
"Several national advocates of a single-payer system, including Dr. David
Himmelstein of Physicians for a National Health Program, sat down with
Hillary Clinton in February.  She listened attentively, asked smart
questions - how would such a system encourage more health providers to
perform primary care rather than specialize? - but she gave no indication
their presentations would make a dent in her plan, some form of managed
competition in which the health care delivery system is organized into
large purchasing cooperatives likely to be dominated by insurance companies.

"It was evident Hillary is thinking a lot about politics.  Can you
realistically tell me, she asked, that there are any big powers that
support single-payer and that can take on the insurance industry’s lobbying
and advertising budget?  “I said, ‘About 70 percent of the U.S. people
favor something like a single-payer system,’” Himmelstein recalls.  “‘With
presidential leadership that can be an overwhelming force.’  She said,
‘David, tell me something interesting.’”