#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The backbone of our Utah Coalition for National Healthcare Reform of the
early 1990s was the several Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers locals in the
Salt Lake area (many of us UCNHR activists were also participating in the
OCAW-led Labor Party Advocates movement).  In those days there was no
question that we were working for a single-payer universal health care
system and an end to private profit health insurance (which is a
mafia-style protection racket; they don't provide any healthcare they are
just the goons at the door 'providing access' for those who have paid
them).

The Clintons privately worked out an oligopoly end state "reform" deal with
the major health insurance corporations (Metropolitan, Prudential, Aetna,
Cigna and Travelers at the time, MPACT) which was shot down in Congress by
the power of the 600 remaining smaller, regional and local insurance
companies still members of the Health Insurance Association of America
after the elite MPACT group left to set up their new "Alliance for Managed
Competition" lobby.  I should say the power of HIAA in alliance with the
more powerful major 'small business' lobby, the National Federation of
Independent Business.

The healthcare reform movement was in relative hiatus until Obama was
elected and hopeful expectations picked up again.  Unfortunately neither
OCAW nor Tony Mazzochi were still around.  Worse, the Obama administration
ruled out _a priori_ any consideration of single-payer, even in Congress.
We who had picked up the single-payer baton again found the going much
rougher than in the 1990s.  The public discourse about 'Obamacare' marked
the corporate triumph of defining healthcare reform as providing 'access'
to private profit health insurance for more people.

I think it is unfortunate that Bernie Sanders has been so polite to the
private profit health insurance corporations during this renewed campaign
for single-payer, Medicare for All.  My impression is that Sanders has been
reluctant to graphically expose how the private profit health insurance
corporations are ripping us off - and to explicitly call for an end to this
racketeering.  The result is that the corporate media has largely gotten
away with confusing the public about 'how could we possibly pay for?'
Medicare for All.
Dayne