#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Louis Proyect wrote:
(So, he only had himself to blame.)

Meanwhile, a small group of senior aides had been pushing Sanders for months to go harder on Biden.

The problem: Sanders actually liked him [Biden].

There was no problem for Sanders. Sanders had (in 2016 and now) a different goal. Sanders made a series of campaign choices aimed at allowing him to put on the fiction that he wanted to become POTUS but seemed to lose the chance at some early stage. His endorsed policies made him perhaps the country's most famous current politician and very well-liked in polls (still seen as one of very few who can "beat Trump" as the Dems say). But his refusing to run outside the party that treated him badly, and praising/endorsing his opponents even when he didn't know who precisely that chief opponent would be such as pledging to support the nominee whomever that person was), all were structured to prevent him from ever becoming POTUS.

The late Bruce Dixon had it right years ago in https://www.blackagendareport.com/bernie-sanders-sheepdog-4-hillary -- Sanders is a sheepdog for the Democratic Party. Change a few of the names to match current-day specifics and the rest of this article reads fine today. It wouldn't be surprising to me if this overall strategy continues with some younger person taking the mantle of sheepdog to replace Sanders.

Sanders was never an effective threat to establishment interests. The DNC corporation knew that (and so did all of the elites putting on the political theater of opposing Sanders[1]), and Sanders knew it too. Sanders' goal: get more people to support the dying Democratic Party even while it pursues neolib/neocon ends harder than ever. It's telling and a shame that so many read Sanders' efforts (like in 2016) as a candidate who genuinely ran to win.

[1] From http://jampac.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/042517cw2.pdf

> Bruce Spiva: [...] We're gonna, you know, choose our standard bearer, and
we're
> gonna follow these general rules of the road, which we are voluntarily
deciding,
> we could have — and we could have voluntarily decided that, Look, we're gonna
go
> into back rooms like they used to and smoke cigars and pick the candidate that
> way. That's not the way it was done. But they could have. And that would have
also
> been their right [...]

This tells the real tale of the power the DNC corporation never lost to choose who represents their corporation (aka party primary nominee). The Democrats don't pull this power out in order to not lose too many Democratic Party supporters but that power remains in place.