#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I have begun work on an homage to this comrade who died recently. The last communications I got from him were about my CounterPunch article about Project 1619 that got into the divisions between the Victoria Woodhull and Friedrich Sorge wings of the First International. Drawing from Timothy Messer-Kruse, who told me that he has his own article for CounterPunch on this stuff in the works, I pointed out that Sorge's views on race were pretty awful.

He told me that he had worked on a book about Karl Marx and racism that only remained a work in progress. He sent me 3 chapters that I will be posting as part of the memorial. This is the start of chapter one:

GETTING PAST THE “N” WORD: MARX AND RACISM

“The Jewish Nigger Lassalle, who fortunately departs at the end of this week, has luckily again lost 5,000 taler in a fraudulent speculation. The fellow would rather throw his money into the muck then lend it to a ‘friend,’ even if the interest and capital were guaranteed.”

- Marx to Engels, 30 July 1862.

“Without slavery North America, the most progressive of countries, would be transformed into a patriarchal country. Wipe North America off the map of the world, and you will have anarchy – the complete decay of modern commerce and civilization. Cause slavery to disappear and you will have wiped America off the map of nations.”

– Karl Marx, The Poverty of Philosophy.

Some years ago a friend commented on the problem of talking with a Christian fundamentalist. She noted that no matter what the initial subject of the conversation was, say the weather or traffic, sooner or later as the conversation evolved it was almost certain that the name “Jesus” was going to be mentioned with testimony about what how he was really a great guy.

A similar fate all too often awaits readers of books written by devout Marxists. No matter what the ostensible subject under discussion with regard to Marx’s view of this or that, time and time again the reader will discover just how great Karl Marx really was. In fact it is virtually impossible to read any tome produced in (for example) either the former East Germany or the Soviet Union that came to any other conclusion. Needless to say, neither the Russians nor the East Germans failed to see any irony in the fact that any author who tried to argue otherwise would never see a word of his argument in print even as both states assured the readers that they embodied Marx’s democratic heritage unlike their capitalist scoundrel rivals in the West.