#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Walter Daum wrote

Really what? That’s a neat little article by Lenin, concisely dissecting the U.S. bourgeois parties of his day. It doesn’t say anything about tactically voting for one of them to stop the other, but I assume he was against, as was Debs. He doesn’t suggest that the Dems were a lesser evil than the Repubs, or vice versa. Lenin had equally strong denunciations of the bourgeois parties of his own country, Russia, and there, under specific circumstances, he advocated a defensive vote for Cadet candidates to stop the Black Hundreds from taking office. So where’s the principle of *never* voting for a bourgeois candidate?--
The principle of *never* voting for a bourgeois candidate may be beside the point.

What of the people who called and knocked on doors and posted signs and generally busted ass and spent much enthusiasm in support of Bernie - whatever the intent or effect? What if in substantial numbers they decide that, if Biden doesn't buy the program that they worked so hard for, he doesn't buy their votes either? What if they they decide that Biden is part of the problem, another messenger boy fronting for the implacable enemy. And voting for the lesser evil has invariably left us further from our goal of working class emancipation. Are they going to somehow listen up and follow your advice, and put defeat of Trump up front as you advocate (or is it just this tiny choir of ex-Trots that you address)?

So long as the preponderance who vote are not buying into even a mild reform program in their interests and are timorous about the consequences, who apparently comprise in their numbers older, self-indulgent, pro-military, xenophobic members of the middle class in the US (the 20% that follows on after the 1% because they still visualize the benefits to them of the power of US capital - and who vote in line with that interest) how then do we bring about change? By, in our ineffectual numbers, joining them?

CBS conducted an exit poll after one of the recent primaries, in which one of the questions asked was would you prefer a candidate who a) reflects the policies of Obama, b) is more liberal, c) is more conservative? The reported answers were a) 49%, b) 37%, and c) 14%. And that's just the Democrats.