#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The issue here, as the article states is not about conspiracy but
opportunity. But between those two can be a vast chasm. We had a series
highly destructive earthquakes (and thousands of aftershocks) in
Christchurch, NZ where I live nearly ten years ago. There was no conspiracy
to beat up the seriousness of them - in fact I went to my step son's school
singing event and the then Minister of Education (National Party, the
approximate equivalent of the Tories) made an off hand remark about not
letting "a few little earthquakes" stop us. Likewise, the Earthquake
Recovery Minister and various bureaucrats on a number of occasions played
down the seriousness and tried to claim things were progressing more
quickly than we all knew they were. And of course, the responses were
bourgeois response. No seizing the opportunity to plan the rebuild of the
city centre as a state of the art sustainable people centred showpiece. No
plan that saw the poorer East of the city having its needs addressed as a
priority. Because bourgeios governments think in bourgeois ways.

Likewise now. The latest figures put the infection numbers in the 700,000s
and deaths at about 35,000. So a mortality rate of about 5% (probably more
like 2% when the asymptomatic and otherwise undiagnosed are factored in).
And that's because governments have taken pretty drastic steps. NZ is in a
virtually total lock down for non-essential services. No bourgeoisie
benefits from locking down the country, telling the workers to stay home
and stop producing surplus value and, in New Zealand's case upping the
national debt further by paying a wage subsidy to stay at home (and making
clear that employers who pocket the subsidy rather than pay it to their
staff will be prosecuted.) This is damaging to the economy. Yes, of course
the government and business will try to blame the recession (or depression
if that occurs) on Covid 19; it's what they do. But to have taken lesser
measures would have been grossly irresponsible. Johnson (UK), Morrison
(Aus) and Trump (USA) have taken huge risks in that direction and may yet
pay a horrific (it already is horrific) price.

John

--
The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common