#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

> On Apr 21, 2020, at 1:22 PM, John Reimann via Marxism
> <marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> Question for the MMT advocates, or anybody who understands the theory: Am I
> right that MMT advocates that countries simply print up cash rather than
> float bonds and T-notes - in other words rather than go into debt? A simple
> "yes" or "no" will do.

A simple yes or no won’t do because the question reflects multiple
misunderstandings.

MMT doesn’t advocate any specific policy for all countries, or for any specific
country. It offers a description of how central government spending works, and
a framework for understanding how much fiscal space a given country has for
using that spending power. As I wrote earlier, it’s best understood as a lens
through which to understand structural impediments to the effective use of
public spending. To the extent that the MMT lens is more widely understood
among the public, it then becomes increasingly possible to assert
mass-democratic pressure on that spending, in ways that can advance the kinds
of social goals that hopefully everyone on this list would embrace.

“Print up cash” isn’t an accurate description of how money is created. The
authorizing government body (in the US, Congress) passes a spending bill, and
that spending takes place through keystrokes that change bank balances. But far
more importantly, it matters a great deal how that money is spent, because even
for a country with “full monetary sovereignty,” the impacts of public spending
are constrained by the availability of real resources — including labor, but
also raw materials, energy, food, technology, etc.

When new spending happens, new money is created. In accounting terms, the
record of that spending is a “deficit”; on the other side of the ledger it is
simply “money in circulation.” Each dollar is worth exactly one other dollar,
so the government technically “owes” exactly the amount of money that is in
circulation — but it is also the sole issuer of the currency it offers in
exchange for existing dollars.

In the US, there is a legal requirement to turn that deficit into debt through
the issuance of bonds / T-bills, but that’s because of a law passed by
Congress; it isn’t an inherent part of the money creation process. There are
different views among MMT scholars on the wisdom of that. Either way, MMT
doesn’t “advocate” “printing up cash,” or the reverse; it offers a description
of how the process works; an explanation of why many countries can do more of
that than many people realize; some suggestions on how that greater spending
power could best be used (although the details will always be dependent on the
concrete national context); and some ideas for how countries that are
especially constrained in that regard can move towards greater independence and
autonomy.

BTW, I’m not particularly an advocate of MMT, but I am an advocate of reading
in good faith and taking advantage of useful insights wherever they originate.
The refusal of folks on the left to engage with this body of thought is beyond
bizarre — borderline pathological. What I’m waiting for now is what typically
comes next: As folks spend enough time with the material for the penny to drop,
they’ll suddenly say, “Oh, of course, I’ve known that all along! MMT has
nothing new to offer!” Wait for it.