#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

(Posted on FB by Sebastian Budgen)

Neil Davidson - one of the kindest, most thoughtful, least pompous and one of the most brilliant comrades we will ever know - has left us, far, far two early. HM Books will, in due course, be publishing two of his new books and the journal will be making available his articles. A really terrible loss for us all.

From his partner Cathy:

Dear All - as you can see, this is to convey the sad news that Neil died this morning, peacefully here at home with me, eight months after his diagnosis with brain cancer.

We have been wonderfully supported during this last phase of his illness by our local District Nurses and West Lothian care teams, backed up by our GP practice, Marie Curie palliative care experts and others, all selflessly working on despite the pandemic.

Neil's funeral will be in Aberdeen so that his family can attend and of course, current restrictions mean this can only be a small private event. I know that many of you will want, as will I, to have a much fuller commemoration and celebration of Neil's life and exceptional achievements at a later date, and if possible when we can get together in person - I'll be happy to hear any ideas for that in due course. I do find myself in possession of a library still overflowing with books - and also red wine... So perhaps some redistribution of all that might feature in forthcoming plans!

My sister Helen came down from her home in Shetland just before the lockdown and remains an invaluable support and comfort - she will be staying here for the duration of the restrictions in any case, so I am not alone. Springtime in the garden is a great solace too.

The many expressions of kindness, concern, support and appreciation for Neil that have come in over recent months were very gratefully received and I managed to convey most of your messages to Neil, which meant a lot to both of us. We may borrow some of the fine words used by some of you in what we put together to be said at his funeral and I know that will be very helpful to his family too.

There is no need at all to reply to this e-mail. I have tried to send it to as many of Neil's (and my) friends and contacts as I have addresses for, but you may wish to pass it on to others I haven't reached. If you do wish to be in touch with me, e-mail or post is fine - but I'm sure you will understand if I am not responding to much correspondence meantime. Also, I would appreciate no phone calls/texts and no flowers etc. sent here at the moment. Thanks.

Let's remember the good times and keep working for better yet to come, as Neil would have wanted and did so much to inspire.

With best wishes to you all and hope you are keeping safe.

Cathy