#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The young transgressors, the ultimate jouisseurs, are in fact nothing of the sort. They are, on the contrary, I claim, symptoms of the neoliberal and consumer culture ethic of the past half century. They prove that there is nothing inherently emancipatory about a politics of transgression. The kids on Spring Break in Florida help us make sense of the contradictions ingrained into the demands of neoliberalism and consumer society, particularly where a culture privileges the individual over society.

http://secure-web.cisco.com/1efZWLcFlzYSh3FF4vpOJzZmivxi-9aoLJnUmmTp5sJ76uyVfndHyqxfUaxDxBHKzE5br45Peo05dsQI_vr2MbmNig12XwqtGtuicPxLsZt6Sm88tRWk7lwPmfTr_KwW-xwCoYe3ZJoReztySVplNevycoZZ4tZJbIp4ymbzcFCHbcLPXYhslYsqHl5P-ldzEPi8TQVUjqZgC2I04Zn4PQ7NNcb8rW4CXqVATmDZfkDyAnJrP_8m2tosENLTmj80uBoIfRG7sUZkyBKgD2viFD61dqaXsjJx2JA9NblgvNKsDFCVK_8Ou_MUlVGOPxP5x8ub5GNDaK18MfcE_70-y7ln87YUWSqkzcCqKI7wkITHzDtJeqILo28jWCy0koUWt/http%3A%2F%2Fthephilosophicalsalon.com%2Fsocial-distancing-and-its-discontents%2F