#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Louis Proyect wrote

(A familiar refrain as if being an ex-con excuses someone's knee on his neck for over 8 minutes.)

“What is not being told is the violent criminal history of George Floyd. The media will not air this,” police union president Bob Kroll told his members in a letter posted Monday on Twitter.

Floyd had landed five years behind bars in 2009 for an assault and robbery two years earlier, and before that, had been convicted of charges ranging from theft with a firearm to drugs, the Daily Mail reported.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/02/george-floyd-had-violent-criminal-history-minneapolis-union-chief/

["The head of the Minneapolis police union says George Floyd’s “violent criminal history” needs to be remembered and that the protests over his death are the work of a “terrorist movement.”

Floyd had landed five years behind bars in 2009 for an assault and robbery two years earlier, and before that, had been convicted of charges ranging from theft with a firearm to drugs, the Daily Mail reported <https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8366533/George-Floyd-moved-Minneapolis-start-new-life-released-prison-Texas.html>."]

Sounds like there goes what middle class support there might have been for the protests. The largest middle class buffer between the working class and corporate power on the planet. More divide and rule.

And what charges will a middle class jury convict Chauvin for, let alone the others charged, with this information before them? Especially now that a Black Muslim State Attorney General, Keith Ellison, will now lead the prosecution?

And what does that mean for any meaningful "reform" of police conduct? We know the answer to that from the last 200+ years of racism -- squat.

So will the next murder of a Black person by the cops see increasingly militarized police clamping down from the get-go, with surveillance, drones, lethal automated weapons? And where do we go from there?

We're not rich enough to go into outer space and colonize with Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk.

I visualize a response similar to the million-person gathering at the Washington Monument against the US war on the Vietnamese people, only next time, 3 million or 5 million pushing down the barriers around the White House. Will the military follow their Comdr in Chief's orders to fire on that many of their fellow beings? And then what?

Well, that's my vision.