#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Obviously every community has its religious whackos. The whole point of the
article was that members of the Orthodox Jewish community were nonetheless
embracing struggles that had long been policed by conservative types and
community elders.

I'd note also that insofar as religious oppression takes place within
Orthodox communities it also happens *to* Orthodox Jews. We should support
those people when they raise issues of inequality generally. This notion
that everyone needs to drop their religious affiliations and customs is, in
my opinion, really facile and patronizing and also a misreading of the
phrase that John has quoted from Marx.

Amith R. Gupta

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 5:43 PM John Obrien via Marxism <