#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

This  took me by surprise and I am interested how this will pan out as the
fabric of social life is much more centered on sport and entertainment than
on more formal institutions like police deps. Any meaningful change in
policing must be accompanied by a win in the war of position, so to speak.
Of course, there are virulent puritanical streaks in the U.S. left that
dismiss sports in a opium of the masses type Frankfurt school idea of
deluding the stupid working masses. As John pointed out, how the fan base
reacts at large will be interesting and can be compared with how antiracist
messaging has worked (and not worked) in world football. Also interesting
is how dedicated the English Premier league is to honoring George Floyd,
even having Black Lives Matter on the back of their kits.