#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The PYD and SDF have for some time been calling on all Kurds in Syria, as well
as people of other ethnicities, to unite against the Turkish invasion.

In Iraq, the PKK has made similar calls for Kurdish unity against the Turkish
invasion.

The US has supported discussions aimed at improving relations between the PYD
and the KNC in the case of Syria.  But in the case of Iraq the US does not
support any discussions involving the PKK.

The US remains hostile to the PKK, and has never (as far as I am aware) made
any criticism of Turkish bombing and ground invasions of northern Iraq.

I don't claim to fully understand US policy.  But I think it results from
trying to pursue several different objectives at once.  US motives include
opposition to the PKK, worry about the revival of ISIS, rivalry with Russia,
and hostility to Iran.

When ISIS captured large parts of Iraq and Syria in 2014, the US was worried.
It needed local allies.  In northern Iraq it had the Kurdistan Regional
Government, a long-term ally with fairly strong military forces.  But in Syria
there was no equivalent, so it decided to cooperate with the YPG, and later the
SDF.

After ISIS had lost most of its territory in Syria, Trump started to withdraw
US troops.  This enabled Turkey to invade north-eastern Syria in October 2019.
The Autonomous Administration asked for Russian help in deterring further
Turkish advances.  The US, perhaps worried at the prospect of expanding Russian
influence in north-eastern Syria, decided not to withdraw completely.

Now the US is supporting talks between the PYD and the KNC.  But I would not
over-emphasise the US role in these talks.  The Kurdish people want unity
against the Turkish invasion.

Chris Slee