#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I get that she's a racist. But to me there's a huge difference between her
writing from the perspective of a Latin American character (assuming she
did a good job of it, which she clearly didn't) and her actually
identifying as Latina (Puerto Rican) when she isn't. As a writer she can
try to put herself in the shoes of a Latina (or a Latino) character.
Writers have to do that or all their characters would just be the same
character (the writer) in different stories. But her claiming to be Latina
when she's actually white is different. That's like Rachel Dolezal claiming
to be black.

So it seems to me the Jeanine Cummins issue is not *just* that she's a
racist writer, but also that she is claiming to be someone she's not.
Rachel Dolezal weaseled her way into the NAACP because she "identified as
black". How is that different? Apart from the fact that Rachel Dolezal
seems to have meant well.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 12:35 PM Louis Proyect via Marxism <

--
"All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks."
Sarah Moore Grimke, abolitionist (1792-1873)