No dude, that's not a defense that is very helpful as it assumes that this
happened and then makes excuses for it.  Moreover, it is a slap in the face to
the millions of soviet soldiers and partisans who didn't do things like that.
I'm not sure what your experiences in war or military life are, but there are
plenty of people who have fought in wars and been in extreme situations and not
committed these crimes; ultimately it is an unavoidable individual moral
decision that a person must make in that situation which the movie "Casualties
of War" depicts very well.  Finally, to glibly say that since war is about
violence and rape is violence means that anything goes including rape is
unacceptable.

> Well, let's see. If, as I do, you consider rape a form of violence, and the
> purpose of war to inflict more violence on your enemy than they inflict on
> you; and given that the war in question was one of the most brutal and
> cruel in human history, why would you think that rape would not be part and
> parcel of the violence involved?

Get free photo software from Windows Live
http://www.windowslive.com/online/photos?ocid=PID23393::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_PH_software:082009