Another great book of his is "The Brown Plague," based on his travel
to Germany shortly before and after the Nazis' rise to power. Its full
of great quotes from workers he talked to and paints a clear picture
of why the various workers' organizations failed to respond -- as well
as inspiring depiction of workers who wanted to. And his sexual
politics come through (in fact I picked it up at an NYC lesbian/gay
bookstore).
As for "Negroes on the March," I remember being struck by the
prescience of his claim that Blacks would soon revolt, pointing among
other things to the attitudes of returned vets. It's also useful as a
critique of Myrdal's "American Dilemma."
Andy