Just one quick comment while I try to absorb all this, which is  a truly
rich text that needs close examination and not just because I can't figure
it out.  Yet.

Anyway, comrade WL-- and let's be clear, as much as we disagree and fight, I
consider WL to be a true comrade, a brother---  writes:

"An existing state of development of production - quality, cannot become
antagonistic to itself, based on an intensive and extensive  quantitative
increase of itself."

And I think Marx shows-- "Oh yes it can."  And that is exactly what happens
with the advance of capitalism; and what becomes acute in the advance of
capitalism from extensive appropriation of absolute surplus value to the
intensive appropriation of relative surplus value.  This is exactly what
Marx shows with the changing composition of capital.  This is exactly what
Marx terms the tendency of the rate of profit to decline.  This is exactly
what Marx means when he says in Vol 3:  overproduction is always the
overproduction of capital, of the means of production as capital.  AND, this
is why Marx never would describe the Paris Commune as "pre-mature,"  as not
supported by the development of technology, of the productive forces.  This
why Marx comprehended, and denounced, the flaws in the proletariat
subordinating itself to the bourgeoisie in the 1848 revolutions.  And this
is why he worked to create the First International.

What I think comrade WL is getting at, and this is Ihis unique and profound
insight-- that the pursuit of profit requires the development of a
technology so new, so advanced that it makes the previous social
organization of labor obsolete.  Well, I like that formulation.  But I think
there's a problem with it in that it condemns workers struggles and
self-organization to passivity, subordination to the existing state of
affairs-- to the next "stage" of development, and makes no allowance for the
uneven and combined development on the one hand, and the obsolescence of the
organizaton of capital based not upon technology, but upon its property.

I don't think this is a waste on this list, comrade WL-- this is where I
first met you.

And a big part of me agrees with you about all that grief and its cause.