Asad Haider wrote:
> They urge for an analysis of the purges that does not center on
> Stalin's personality, which seems reasonable.

We don't need an extended discussion of such matters, but I would say
this, having watched the video of the interview you referred to. Getty
has a rather narrow interest, which is to discredit the Robert Conquest
version of what happened in the 1930s. But from everything I have read
of Getty online, including his most ambitious work co-authored with a
Russian historian, there is absolutely no engagement with Marxism. There
is no sense of an understanding of the relevance of historical
materialism to the Soviet Union. It is strictly a number crunching
exercise heavily dependent on Soviet archives that tries to establish
the fact that the 1930s repression was not orchestrated in all its
details by Stalin. This was never the view of Marxist historians, to say
the least.