DR, Honduras president-elect reach deal on Zelaya
January 20, 2010 10:32 PM EST
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) - The Dominican government announced a
deal Wednesday with Honduras' president-elect to give ousted leader Manuel
Zelaya safe passage to this Caribbean nation.

The pact would let Zelaya, who has been holed up in the Brazilian Embassy in
Tegucigalpa nearly four months, fly here as a guest after Porfirio Lobo takes
office as Honduras' president Jan. 27, Dominican presidential spokesman Rafael
Nunez said.

Lobo said he was confident Honduras' political crisis would ease after his
inauguration on the final day of Zelaya's term. He thanked Dominican President
Leonel Fernandez for his help in drafting the deal, dubbed the "Agreement for
National Reconciliation and the Fortification of Democracy in Honduras."

"We must all forgive. We strongly defend an amnesty for all, regardless of
ideological differences we may have. It is in the interest of the Honduran
people," Lobo said before meeting with Fernandez to sign the accord.

Lobo, a wealthy rancher who won Honduras' Nov. 29 presidential election,
previously called for granting amnesty both to Zelaya and to all of those
involved in the coup that removed the leader in a fight over constitutional
change.

Zelaya praised the accord as a sign of Lobo's commitment to national
reconciliation, but the ousted leader did not say when he might leave Honduras,
although Dominican officials said that could happen as early as inauguration
day.

"I recognize this as a good gesture from Lobo to achieve national
reconciliation," Zelaya told Radio Globo from the Brazilian Embassy in
Tegucigalpa.

'nuff said.