There's no problem with self-defense against the formal, or informal, armed
gangs of the state.

The execution, however, of rank and file supporters of the CPI-M  based
solely on their support of the CPI-M is something quite different.

I subscribe to the EPW, and I remember reading the 2001 article back in the
day.  Given the still largely agricultural nature of India's economy and the
declining productivity in agriculture, a rural organization of the poor and
the landless with  a plan for utilization of the land that's more developed
than the customary "land to the tillers" land reform program is essential to
the advance of revolutionary struggle.
No doubt the CPI-M as trustee for the interests of  landowners is an
obstacle to such development. That's not an issue either.   Overcoming the
obstacle is the critical issue.

If the rural resistance is not distinct, has not distinguished itself, from
the rightist elements in its selection both of tactics and targets, then
that rural resistance cannot and will not overcome the obstacle.

I don't know how we, or some, can rationalize or justify,  "blocs of 4 [or
5] classes,"  dalliances with some mythical "progressive" "national
capitalists,"  "third world exceptionalism" and then be so shocked, so
appalled when the results of that exceptionalism are so "unprogressive," so
backward.