A) I would be careful not to take the exceptional period of the 'post-war
boom' as the normal for capitalism.  If we look at annual growth rate of GDP
per capita for the world (Maddison) we see: 1820-1870 .53%; 1870-1913 1.30%;
1913-1950 .91%; 1950-1973 2.93%; 1973-1998 1.33%.  So, we should really take
a longer-term look at the situation.

B) I would also caution against claims such as 'no major technological
innovation in sight'.  This is simply beyond any of us to predict and there
are places where technology could advance very rapidly (ie: biotech).  See
Mandel on long-waves and their technological influence if you want to parcel
out a longer-term history of the relationship.

C)  Also, don't forget the contradiction between Value and exchange-value
along with exchange-value and use-value.  Focusing only on the latter leads
to theories that neglect production and the contradictions that arise out of
the discrepancies between what/how stuff is produced and how the market
allocates an exchange-value on it and the mediation process between the two
that must take place.

D)  "We all know that the material basis for the existing relations of
production are more important than ideology."  More important maybe, but not
solely important.  As we have seen the past 40+ years, it is not simply a
matter of material determination of history but it is fundamentally a
political/ideological question.

Brad