On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 09:41:02 -0500 "S. Artesian"
<sartes...@earthlink.net> writes:

> French supermarkets-- Champion, etc.  introduced them awhile ago--
> not too
> popular from what I observed in Paris, but then everything in Paris,
>
> including waiting in line, is viewed as an opportunity to engage in
>
> conversation and discussion....
>
> K-Mart on Astor Place in Manhattan installed them about 5 years
> ago-- but
> had to have clerks available as so many customers were confused by
> the
> process-- and I think it presents a greater opportunity for
> pilferage-- scan
> the low priced article, but bag the high priced article.

That maybe their Achilles heel.  What the
stores might save in reduced labor costs
may be lost through increasing pilferage.
Then they either will have to hire
extra clerks to guard against theft
or they will have to increase the
sophistication of the technology,
which of course will make it
more expensive.  Might be
cheaper then just to hire
cashiers.

Jim F.
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant

Senior Assisted Living
Put your loved ones in good hands with quality senior assisted living. Click
now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=fMi3JRdOaaGP8qQzYognMAAAJ1BRugI4sJACAWmXIev8NAFPAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASUQAAAAA=