The author of the bio is one Terry Teachout, who is the chief
cultural critic of the wretched neoconservative magazine
Commentary. The review is a bit too long to include in its
entirety, but this excerpt gives you an idea of how Teachout gets
taken apart:

The bombshell comes near the end of the prologue, when Teachout
quotes from the essay "Louis Armstrong + the Jewish Family, in New
Orleans, La., the Year of 1907," published posthumously in In His
Own Words. In this essay, written in 1969 when he was recovering
from a life-threatening illness, and dedicated to his manager Joe
Glaser, Armstrong recalled how the Karnofsky family helped him in
his boyhood. But Teachout quotes instead an outpouring of rage
from Armstrong against the black community, beginning with
"Negroes never did stick together and they never will" and ending
with "Believe it--the White Folks did everything that's decent for
me." That's our Louis. Claiming that the meaning of the passage is
"as clear as a high C," Teachout does not contextualize it, let
alone test its validity. Neither does he square it with
ac-cen-tu-at-ing the positive. Just in case there was any doubt,
in the November 2009 issue of Commentary Teachout prepared readers
of his book, which was published the following month, for his
pinched reading of the essay: "The bluntness with which Armstrong
expressed himself in this 1969 memoir was more than just the
remembered resentment of an old man. On numerous other occasions,
he made it clear that he believed poor people, regardless of their
color, to be largely responsible for their own fate." Armstrong's
jeremiad reminds me of the dyspeptic letter that Arnold
Schoenberg, exiled to Brentwood, California, wrote in 1938
complaining, perversely, that his fellow Jews had never shown any
interest in his music. Show business is tough; everyone has bad days.

full: http://www.thenation.com/doc/20100301/schiff