At the risk of overextending historical analogies and talking about a
country I really do not know too much about, I wonder whether what a friend
told me may have some validity: basically, that these sort of events--just
as the sadly common instances of people going to some crowded place and
shooting at everyone that moves--may be a sign of a sort of emerging
narodnik-like stage of conscioussness in the US middle classes
(intelligentsia, whatever you wish to call it).

After all, the tactics of individual action, terrorism and assassination of
officials, etc, tend to take hold before people are willing and able to
organise as workers and realise collective action.

Any thoughts?

--David.