I heard that the government had made an arrangement with the
supermarket owners to allow people to liberate the goods they need for
survival. I don't recall the source, but I do remember hearing it,
possibly on the Chilean TV news. This news came after reports of
"massive looting" as such, particularly in Concepcion.  So the
government was reassuring the owners they would be recompensed. Of
course, I could be totally wrong....

The MIR are usually straight shooters; they rarely exaggerate. So for
them to release such a statement is noteworthy and the message should
be taken very seriously.

Greg