I don't recall Diem ever talking about going over to the VC, but I get your
point.  I doubt if the US would so stupid as to try to pull a Diem on
Karzai.  As I recall things took a further decline for the US and its
compradors in the wake of that.  Ironically I remember watching the Tomorrow
Show with Tom Snyder the night after the liberation of Saigon with the guest
being none other than Madame Nhu commenting on these events and bemoaning
how if only things had gone differently in November 1963 there would not
have been this outcome.