I have some small, partially-developed thoughts on this matter...

If the Left were to be entirely honest, it couldn't say that humanity
has no hope of surviving extermination under the capitalist system. The
bourgeoisie haven proven itself capable of fighting its nature, in able
to preserve its existence, in the past -- I think we all agree that this
is the legacy of Social-Democracy after the First World War. Of course,
its success in doing so against proletarian revolution in the 20th
Century was not a sure thing, and its success in doing so against
environmental extinction in the 21th Century is not a sure thing either
-- and this time, it means not just their end, but all of humanity's.

On the other hand, and I know I'm preaching to the choir here, the only
way the survival of the human race is possible is with a mass movement
against the logic of capitalism, against profit-above-all-else. Because
of this, claims that fighting for capitalist solutions are the only
realistic and therefor responsible means of saving humanity are
incredibly dangerous. What is needed is rutheless criticism of the logic
of capitalism; let the capitalists work to prove us wrong!