On Jul 12, 2010, at 9:30 AM, Néstor Gorojovsky wrote:

> Yes, I had made the same calculation myself, and the result was
> unbelievable. That is why I need a mathematician before I start
> believing Octopus Paul really understands fútbol.
>>
>> On Jul 12, 2010, at 12:01 AM, Néstor Gorojovsky wrote:
>>>
>>> Can anyone calculate the probabilities that Paul the octopus has
>>> reached his results by chance?
>>
>> 1/2^8  =  . 0039
>>
>> Statistically significant at the 99.6 % level.
>>
>> Sheldrake strikes again!

There is no implication that Paul understands fútbol,  just as there
is no implication that the Pythoness understood her predictions.  The
implication is that the greatest "understanding" resides in a
collective superconscious field into which some individual animals
(even human ones) sometime attain a subconscious attunement,
producing real results that a mechanistic world view dismisses as
anomalous.