There wasn't a revolution going on in S. Africa in the 1980s?  I beg to
differ.  Nonetheless these unfortunate acts were a part of spontaneous mob
violence driven by their bitter hatred of their dismal conditions of
oppression, not acts directed from above.  Thus, why not talk about the
violence of the apartheid regime, something decidedly a matter of conscious
policy?  So, politically speaking in that context they are
counter-revolutionary horror stories, part of the political media offensive
of the Boers and their supporters to give them moral cover and shift the
onus away from apartheid.

Louis talked about not dredging up stuff from 10 years before he was born
(and I say in my defense I'm not the one who brought this stuff up, "I
didn't start it"), so surely we're treading on thin ice in getting into the
Jacobins, but if you must raise this issue, I suggest those who are
interested check out Thomas Paine's defense of the French Revolution, "The
Rights of Man",  in response to precisely this argument when first raised by
Edmund Burke over 200 years ago.  And if you remember there was also a
revolution in Haiti at that time.  Are you now going to complacently ignore
the reality of colonial slavery and talk about the murder of plantation
families or of perhaps incidents of people killed by masses who rightly or
wrongly thought to be collaborators?  What about Sherman's March to the Sea?
What about the partisans in France who killed people believed to be
collaborators, but due to mistake weren't?  Are we going to condemn them as
terrorists as many right wing people in France and Germany still do to this
day without talking about the Nazis?  Give us a break.