On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 06:38:22 -0400 "Richard Levins"
<human...@hsph.harvard.edu> writes:

> I try to deal with some of ths in the April Monthly Review.

Richard's article can be read online at:

http://www.monthlyreview.org/100401levins.php

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant

> [...]
> Nothing
> is more embarrassing than someone throwing some fact (or "fact") at
> you
> that you were totally unaware of, and so you're totally unprepared
> and
> can't say anything against it, apart from the argument that can be
> given
> blockade. You lose all credibility if that's all you can say.
>
> No doubt the argument is true, but I would like to know in more
> detail
> what I'm defending, especially the more unpleasant things. It's not a
>
> condition to defend Cuba, but it is a condition of being able to do
> that
> in public. Feeling ambivalent and private sympathy from the
> sidelines is
> hardly the best way to do that.
>
> Many people became totally disillusioned about the Soviet Union
> because
> they had believed what the CP press wrote about it. What a surprise
> then
> to find out that some 20 000 Finns were killed there in the 1930s,
> many
> of whom had fled the Finnish whites after the civil war, or later in
> the
> 20s and 30s, in search of a better life. Does one respond to that
> that
> the USSR was a victim of ruthless pressure from the capitalist
> world,
> isolated etc..? That's true of course, but hardly a sufficient
> answer.
> I'm not saying anyone's doing that to Cuba on this list, but how can
> know, if all I have is "Cuba is the victim of a ruthless blockade"?
>
> I'm so totally fed up with the Finnish communist party newspaper's
> Cuba
> "reporting", because it's all about the health care and education
> all
> the time, and nothing else. Not that it's not important, but if
> that's
> ALL YOU GET, over and over again, year after year, you begin to
> wonder
> whether they really know anything at all. You just can't trust them
> talk about the more complicated things as well, so what they write
> isn't
> worth shit in the long run. The kind of sunshine news they publish
> is
> good enough for keeping the faithful in line, but no good at all in
> trying to educate people to be able to defend Cuba in public.
>
> I don't share Dan's view on things, but I think it's good he brought
> the
> questions up. I take it as a chance for us less knowledgeable to
> learn
> by seeing how the more knowledgeable on the list defeat him by means
> of
> elaborated and reasoned argument, so that I'll be able to do the

Staples&#174; Weekly Ad
Computer Clearance! Amazing deals on case paper and HP ink!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4c95f29bdb0ae1cd7f0m03vuc