www.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/world/europe/23pirozhkova.html?_r=1&ref=obituaris

Fred Feldman comments:
Although I vaguely knew there had been a revolution in Russia once, my first
direct contact with the event was not the writings of Lenin or Trotsky or
Deutscher, but spending an afternoon reading Red Cavalry in my local public
library.

Already attracted to the worldwide hard-boiled school from Dostoevsky to
Film Noir to Van Gogh's Potato Eaters to Dashiell Hammett and Louis
Ferdinand Celine, I found that Red Cavalry added a note of inspiration.
Ignorant and crude and even cruel human beings fighting to raise themselves
out of miserable conditions of oppression and exploitation by any means
necessary.

When I hear people complain about the Cuban revolution, and the repression
and so forth, I always tend to remember what the peoples of the USSR went
through to make the gains they did. Compared to that, Cuba has been a walk
in the park.

Anyway I salute Babel's very productive and determined widow, regardless of
what her political views were at the end, for a long life of activities that
advanced world literature and human liberation. Worthy causes, to put it
mildly.

Antonina Pirozhkova, presente!
Fred Feldman