---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Greg McDonald <gregm...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Marxism] Correa and Interagua, POR EJEMPLO
To: Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition <marxism@lists.econ.utah.edu>

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Manuel Barrera <mtom...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ¿Ejemplo? No. Revelación.
>

> " The police chief said that protesters from outside Quito would not be kept
> from entering the city and holding peaceful demonstrations, but that the
> police would use the necessary force in the case of disturbances. According
> to Tenesaca, if the high-level committee demanded by CONAIE is not set up,
> the protests will spread to the rest of the country. 'This is the final
> battle. We aren´t going to back down,' he said."

Yeah. So when Bolivian peasants throw Bechtel out of the country,
that's well and good. But when their Ecuadorean counterparts demand
the same, not so good.

Got it.

One thing you could not have noticed, Manuel, is that these protests
took place back in the spring of 2010, and they stopped when the bill
was tabled for further deliberation. But of course you would not know
that, since you obviously do not follow Ecuador very closely at all.

Greg