Hi Prof. Perelman,

Thanks for your helpful comments on ground rent, hopefully I can come back to
this discussion before long.

I read your interesting analytical bio. Kind of reminded me
of the mathematician Paul Halmos’ autobiography, which he called: an
“autoMATHography”
(by the way, you don’t have any relation to Grigori Perelman?, he’s one of the
latest’s winner of the Fields medalists –the biggest prize in math-, but he
rejected
it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Perelman),
so perhaps you should call yours an autoMARXography.

Anyway, as I was reading I found this remark:

“The economy would eventually recover from the crises, but
these downturns could be long‑lasting unless something else intervened,
such as World War II.  The
competitive pressures brought on by the economic crises encouraged replacement
investment and the search for improved techniques, which eventually helped to
make the economy stronger.  This process
created enormous human costs, especially because recovery could many years.”

From what I’ve read on the 30’s, mostly from Marxists, that
seems to be the case. Yet, last week I found a new article by Anwar Shaikh, he
says that

“There are several lessons that can be taken from these
episodes. First,

cutting back government spending during a crisis would be a
‘consequential

mistake’. This is Obama’s point. Second, it is absolutely
clear that the

economy began to recover in 1933, and except for the
administration’s misstep

in cutting government spending in 1937, continued to do so
until the

US build-up to the Second World War in 1939 and its full
entry in 1942.

(Pearl Harbor being December 7, 1941).
is therefore wrong to attribute

the recovery, which had begun nine years before the war, to
the war itself.

The war itself further stimulated production and employment.<<<<<<<
Third, it is nonetheless correct to say that (peacetime) government
spending played a

crucial role in speeding up the recovery. Fourth, the
government spending

involved did not just go towards the purchase of goods and
services. It also

went toward direct employment in the performance of public
service. For

instance, the Work Projects Administration (WPA) alone
employed millions

of people in public construction, in the arts, in teaching,
and in support of

the poor.”
(http://homepage.newschool.edu/~AShaikh/Shaikh%20First%20Great%20Depression%20of%20the%2021st%20Century%208_23_10.pdf,
p.13)

Shaikh doesn’t provide much evidence except for a chart, but
it sounds as though he’s saying that even if the war hadn’t happened, the
recovery policies would have eventually worked, which sounds suspicious to me.
The way I see it, the form in which the recovery took place was part of the
process of development of the specific conditions for the massive destruction
of capital which was WWII, it was no accident.

Anyway, just wondering if you could tell us more about that.