A crude and jingoistic appeal to patriotism is the last refuge of the
pro-war scoundrels as we approach the Australian parliamentary debate on the
war in Afghanistan. An Australian government sent troops to Afghanistan in
October 2001 but it is only nine years later that Parliament is going to
discuss this act of war. Is this how our so-called democracy works? Troops
sent to wage wars on an impoverished, already war-devastated and traumatised
country far away without a discussion in the Parliament, let alone a vote.
More:
http://peterb1953.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/afghanistan-debate-and-the-last-refuge-of-scoundrels/