I meant the specific plan of turning the army towards nonmilitary, socially
useful purposes.  Lippard was a fascinating utopian thinker and Gothic
novelist of the 1840s who found himself inspired by the army of the Mexican
War to discuss what such organization could do if put to building homes for
the poor, etc.

Bellamy's "Nationalism" at the turn of the last century attracted some
interesting support from some prominent Civil War heroes because of this
notion of the army as a tool for society and soldiers as members of society
in particular service to the public good.

It's a natural impulse, I suppose, because the military is the strongest
institution in the capitalist state....

ML