The presumption of innocence seems a reasonable starting point for any
accuserd person, though rape is a singular crime in terms of the ability of
the accused to hide behind that presumption when the authorities permit it.

I don't know Assange or anybody else I've only seen on TV...and I've not
been following him personally or his case all that closely.  I do know that
people don't become transformed in an instantaneous bolt from the blue...in
a Saul-like conversion to being a serial rapist.  It's not as though Assange
hasn't been under someone's microscope for some time...and a particularly
high resolution one at that..

The timing of the charges make their motivation fairly transparent.

The "journalistic" personalities that constitute that community in the US
are going to go after this sort of thing like red meat not particularly
because of the government's encouragement of it, but because Assange has
been doing precisely what they don't do..  Then, too, those TV personalities
who see treating women this way as a matter of entitlement would be
particularly resentful of tthe idea that a rival would do wo without going
the TV and corporate route....

It all just stinks.  And that's all we actually know or can know about it at
this point...

ML