I've bookmarked some of these for further analysis, but I have to say that
any reference to Trotsky's view of the Ukraine as moral authority in this
context should be viewed with skepticism as his role there as a leader of
the Soviet regime was notorious as he played a brutal role there in
suppressing the Ukrainian insurgent workers and peasants during the period
of the revolution.  Peter Arshinov's book on the Makho movement in the
Ukraine, which I picked up in a radical bookstore in the 70s, reproduces
Trotsky's "War Order No. 1" in which he ordered the dispersal of the
All-Ukranian Congress of Soviets and the summary execution of its deputies.
 Yeah, I know, we're not supposed to bring up Trotsky-Stalin stuff here, but
moderated broached the issue.  Moreover, whether something is a "Marxist
analysis", what I don't purport to present, begs the question of what
actually occurred (whether something "passes muster" in material and
empirical terms). Nonetheless, Makhno's army remained steadfast opponents of
the Whites, dealing them a critical defeat in 1919 that saved the Russian
Soviet regime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Arshinov

http://www.amazon.com/Makhnovist-movement-1918-1921-translated-Lorraine/dp/B004424SYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291260143&sr=1-1-spell

For people looking for a Marxist analysis of the Balkan wars, I believe