I would be surprised if some of the marshall's didn't wrack up those kinds
of numbers, though they may not have counted them.  Judge Parker was "the
hanging judge" who was allowed to impose his harsh version of the law at
Fort Smith because the war left a virtual chaos in the Indian Territory.
Federal officials regularly went out into the territory and functioned with
very little concern that anybody would restrict their activities....

Btw, there were Texas units in the Army of Northern Virginia and Edmund
Kirby-Smith was out there before getting transferred to west.  Shreveport
was his headquarters from that point.  Getting sent from Virginia to Texas
was a bit like drawing Northern Ireland as an assignment, I suspect...  This
was true on both sides, of course...

ML