*Can You Imagine? Double Standards and Doublethink

By June Terpstra, Ph.D.

January 14, 2010 "**Information Clearing
House*<http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/>
*" **--
*

*
*

*As* Sarah Palin whines about liberals blaming her for the recent Arizona
tragedies, thus focusing those tragedies on her rather than the victims and
their families, I ask you to imagine pundits and politicians saying what she
has said about so called terrorist tragedies. In a recent video Palin says,
“After this shocking tragedy, I listened at first puzzled, then with
concern, and now with sadness, to the irresponsible statements from people
attempting to apportion blame for this terrible event.” Has the American
media, military and government done nothing but blame Islam and Muslims for
the last ten years? Since September 11 we listened with shock and then
sadness to the irresponsible statements from people like Palin Limbaugh,
Hannity, O'Reilly, Savage, Coulter, and Ingraham apportioning blame to all
Muslims.

Palin also said, “No-one should be deterred from speaking up and speaking
out in peaceful dissent…by being intolerant of differing opinion and seeking
to muzzle dissent with shrill cries of imagined insults.” Really, does this
mean that the oppressed Palestinian, Iraqi and Afghani or the American
anti-war advocate can now speak and be heard without being called a
terrorist or terrorist supporter? Is she advocating diversity or even, god
forbid, multi-culturalism?

Palin also has attempted a very controversial doublethink strategy by
reintroducing the term, "blood libel" which historically some used to
reference a myth that Jews murder Christian children to use their blood in
Passover matzo. The Zionists want an apology because, like the term
holocaust, they believe it should only be used for their propaganda.
However, I would like to introduce that term for all Muslims and those from
invaded and occupied lands fighting for their liberation. They have been
“blood libeled” with the label of “terrorist”.

Doublethink, according to George Orwell's novel, Nineteen Eight-Four, means:

... the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind
simultaneously, and accepting both of them. ...To tell deliberate lies while
genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become
inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back
from oblivion for just so long as it is needed, to deny the existence of
objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one
denies—all this is indispensably necessary.

The media is full of Doublethink stories today about the alienated, perhaps
bi-polar, maybe schizophrenic Jared Loughner who would have been arrested if
he were Black, Latino or Middle Eastern when he ran that red light before
shooting six people in Tucson, AZ. Can you imagine stories about Khalid
Sheikh Mohammed being a lonely bi-polar guy who could have been saved if
someone had just said hello or given him a hug as was suggested at a
memorial service in Tucson yesterday about Loughner?

The discourse of the media and political establishment’s response to the
recent attacks in Arizona is a fascinating study in double standards and
double think methodologies. In their coverage of alleged attacker, Jared
Loughner’s parents they recount that his, “Mother 'almost passed out right
there' while father sat in the road and cried”. Can you imagine hearing this
about Mohammed Atta’s parents? No, they are Muslim and do not have any
humanity to discuss in US media.

We are also being treated to a discussion on the political opportunities
President Barack Obama faces in his national memorial service for the dead
of the Arizona shooting tragedy. Somehow I missed this media discussion
about political opportunism during the ten years of unending September 11
memorials.

I would like to turn the double standard around using some of the quotes
that William Rivers Pitt reminded me of today in his article, “The Wrath of
Fools”. For example, Ann Coulter’s, "My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is
he did not go to the New York Times building."(Ann Coulter, New York
Observer, 08-26-02) Can you imagine a journalist such as Helen Thomas saying
her only regret is Mohammed Atta did not go the White House or the CIA
plantation at Langley? After all, a Lebanese-American such as Thomas cannot
even call a European occupier a European without being censored.

Finally, one of my favorite quotes: "Two things made this country great:
White men & Christianity. The degree these two have diminished is in direct
proportion to the corruption and fall of the nation.. Every problem that has
arisen (sic) can be directly traced back to our departure from God's Law and
the disenfranchisement of White men” (State Rep. Don Davis (R-NC), emailed
to every member of the North Carolina House and Senate, reported by the
Fayetteville Observer, 08-22-01). To which I must reply that the two things
that have almost ruined the planet are imperialist white supremacist males
and all those who follow them and their perversion of Christianity and
democracy. Every problem that we face today can be traced directly to their
departure from their humanity and their laws by using any means necessary to
disenfranchise every-one else.

Dr. June Terpstra, Ph.D.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article27260.htm<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=iqnuv6bab&et=1104247482779&s=109652&e=001hvayathXBtxd07hTWWP_aSQHhC-3aYzO9xNpY2yajgLsXQiSRLbzppgxkeAXaQOHs95ckV-4Zn1QTU_P2G3MddEtJ6nE9kF1Bppty6pFXtkWbp_vlMCmeYR8IFY8sx5LqzYo2dlhIb5SKfvLCSFlF709EDKfUzHa>