On 23 January 2011 13:41, Joaquín Bustelo <jbust...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Other advantages are more flexibility in formatting, abandoning kludges
> like asterisking words or phrases [*blah blah blah*] for emphasis and so
> on. But those are secondary or tertiary.

These secondary and tertiary ones also contain potential problems with
accessibility.

For me being *sometimes* confined to a terminal falls under that broad
category of accessibility.

Ease off on the belittling parodies of 'super geek' purity - fact is,
people read this list under a range of circumstances, chosen or
otherwise, it is important to be able to understand this, which may
involve stepping outside one's own particular circumstances and
expectations.

Yes there are advantages, but there's another side to the story which
may tend towards excluding some people.

Personally, my health has deteriorated over the last couple of years
such that looking at a standard computer screen at length makes me
sick.  The more I am able to control the formatting as a *reader* (not
a writer) the more I am able to lessen the suffering associated with
it.  To the extent that formatting is imposed on me arbitrarily by the
author, there are barriers in the way of me making those adjustments
to my own taste, or piping the content to some other less nauseating
medium.

Just one consideration among many of course, and it isn't an absolute
question, but a matter relative convenience and inconvenience.

It does sound like Joaquín Bustelo's blog would be a worthy piece of
hypertext should such a blog come into being.

  -AA.