Vijay Prashad: Crisis, Chains, Change: The American Exception to Marxism
http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2011/prashad240111.html

Relevant for its discussion of Marxism & Poststructuralism (I can certainly
relate to the sentiments here), the global ruling class and the Tea Party.
>From the article:

"The Tea <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/sd210410.html>
Party<http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/ds290410.html>is the
political expression of the fears of the white working class and the
managerial sector.  Most of its supporters are older, white, and male.  Many
also happen to be Christian fundamentalists."

"The Tea Party movement seeks a restoration of an early bargain, one that
the white working class has lost as a result of the social processes of
globalization.  For its support of U.S. imperial adventures, it is willing
to put up with a livable wage even if the CEO class captures the bulk of the
social wealth for itself.  Such a dream is anachronistic.  The Tea Party
does not recognize that the "United States of America" no longer exists.
Its elite class shares far more with the elites of the other G20 states,
that it is committed to globalization as long as these Davos Men do well,
and that it has no loyalty to its own population.  The Tea Party represents
the patriotism of fools, who believe that the problem is the gains made by
people of color within the United States."

"The Tea Party has no political economy.  Nor do its critics.  The Tea Party
will take refuge in the politics of toxicity.  But one would imagine that
their critics would not dismiss the social conditions that produce them,
from where one can find ways to move their rage toward analysis, and create
the long-term platform for unity against the real system that oppresses us
all -- not the fake system that they believe has taken their jobs away.  But
the critics are also empty-handed.  Liberal hero Jon Stewart holds a rally
and finds his enemies in odd places: "Marxists actively subverting the
Constitution, racists, and homophobes."  Remarkable.  And George Bush, for
him, is not a "war criminal."  We have work to do."

One thought. To what extent is the ruling class now 'global'? And what does
this mean for how we think about imperialism and capitalism?

Richard Seymour / Lenin's Tomb recently posted this piece:

http://leninology.blogspot.com/2011/01/global-ruling-class.html

Louis Proyect posted as comment the link to a recent New Atlantic article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/01/the-rise-of-the-new-global-elite/8343

William Robinson's recent piece in Radical Philosophy ('The Global Capital
Leviathan') might also be of interest:

http://www.radicalphilosophy.com/default.asp?channel_id=2187&editorial_id=29356

There was some discussion of this a decade ago in the midst of the Global
Justice Movement, in particular discussion was catalyzed by Hardt & Negri's
'Empire'. But 'Empire' was hopelessly utopian in outlook and then 9/11
happened and all the talk turned to 'The New Imperialism' and a US attempt
to re-assert hegemony via neo-conservatism, Iraq and Afghanistan, etc. One
gets the feeling now that neo-conservatism was less a sea-change than a
stage in the continuing evolution and deepening of a neo-liberal globalism,
something that has been accelerated by this crisis. I noticed Louis
attempted to have a discussion of imperialism some years ago which never
really got past the 1970s. Where are we now?