It was also intended to counter his misconception that he or anyone should
not criticize the US communist movement.  This line of thinking is incorrect
because only based on our criticism can we determine the correctness or
incorrectness of any given movement as you yourself exemplified in your
criticism.  My
comments were to encourage criticism to determine the correctness of a given
political line although my focus in that message was not quite necessarily
criticism of the US communist movement in general but specifically along the
line
of the failure to understand the dialectical nature of how US fascism is
developing and does in fact exist in the US.  It is an error for any communist
say fascism does not exist because it does not exist in the mold characteristic
of classical fascism.  US fascism may never take on all of the
characteristics of classical fascism because the contradictions have given rise
to newly
developed conditions that will determine its own mold and characteristics just
as
you have noted this in relation to the newly emerging class of proletarians
in society today. <<<

Comment

I favor the broadest criticism of the communist movement in America, by
communists outside America and deeply feel we communists in America should be
extremely careful in our assessment of the world outside America. My personal
inclination is to error on the side of saying nothing in respects to the world
communist movement.

Our status as the most imperial of all imperial workers means we must keep in
mind our impact on the various political polarities in which we operate. Our
criticism must and should always be sincere and use concrete examples drawn
from our daily life experience; history of shifting class alignments in our
country; pinpoint the various modes of struggle of our laboring classes against
capital aggression and highlight the subjective and political boundaries we
have
faced over the course of the last 150 years.

The issue of fascism as a historical economic and political mode of operation
of capital rule has confounded the American mind. Our history has run in a
somewhat different political mode than "European history" and at a more dynamic
pace as a trajectory of industrial development.  That is to say I have a
concept of world industrial development as a curve of history.  In America our
historically distinct form of the emergence of modern imperialism (financial
and
industrial capital imperial rule), occured on a wave of events in front of
"Europe."

Modern American imperialism is different from the imperialism of the Slave
Oligarchy with its insatiable need for territory (land mass) as capital
economic
and production relations in land. The actual mechanics of slave production of
commodities - tobacco and cotton, meant capital expansion was directly
related to how much land was brought under cultivation, rather than say the
intensive development of industrial implements, which increase the productive
capacity
of labor in industry.

Pardon the following economic summation but comrade outside America have
extreme difficulty in understanding our history and the Marxist approach of a
section of American communists to it.

Slave labor requires increasingly large gangs of slaves and massive expansion
into futile soil, due not simply to soil depletion but the law of capitalist
reproduction on an expanding scale. Here is the contradiction internal to the
plantation system. This means the slave mode of the laboring process itself
stands in antagonism to capital expansion. The slave master understood this
contradiction and antagnoism  - economic law of the value producing system, but
could not as a class liquidate his capital in slaves to modernize his
productive
forces before modern productive forces appeared, even if he subjectively
desired to do so.

The inability to resolve this contradiction is what compelled the slave
oligarchy to convert states like Maryland and Virginia, which had employed
slaves
on the production of export articles, into states that raised slaves in order
to export these slaves into the deep South, as the plantation system attempted
to expand into new territories. Marx clarity and summary of this economic law
is to the point: "A strict confinement of slavery within its old terrain,
therefore, was bound according to economic law to lead to its gradual
effacement."
http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/pen-l/2003w33/msg00152.htm

This process logic is as close as American history has come to something akin
to the closed colonial system characteristic of Europe. Modern imperialism is
dated from roughly the 1900s to the outbreak of WW I - 1914, but events in
America witnessed the emergence of a form of modern financial imperialism -
with
the financier as dominator, in front of the curve.

The logic of our history is different and peculiar but not an exception to
the general law of society described by Marx or the general body politics of
the
Third International - during that period of time.

European fascism led by its aggressive German form is associated with the
industrial sector of capital for some concrete reasons that involves a
historically distinct stage of capital imperialism as the closed colonial
system. Again
- the only political phenomenon similar to this in our history is the period
of the Slave Oligarchy leading up to the Civil War.

The actual history of American fascism and its material rule within the
American Union is bound up with the rise of Wall Street imperialism on the
basis
of/as the defeat of the Slave Oligarchy and then the counterrevolution in the
Deep South. Fascism in American history as a political phenomenon is not
directly related to the rule of industrial capital as the leading component of
financial capital expansion or the closed colonial system. German fascism of
Hilterism sought direct colonies as appendages to their industrial
infrastructure as
a basis to enlarge their military capacity for the attack on Bolshevism.

The communist of my hue have always pointed out that European fascism as a
social phenomenon was the direct result and reaction of the European
bourgeoisie
to the October Revolution. The various Trotskyite trends and imperial
bourgeois leftist relate European fascism to the rise of Stalin and Stalinism
but
this is not true at all. The polarity that became European fascism was directly
related to the victory of Bolshevism in 1917 and the curve of defeat of the
German Revolution before the death of Lenin.

Something very different happened in America during the 1890s that birthed
the worlds first fascist movement and fascists victory that would later be
copied by Hitler to the "tee."  The victory of fascism in the South during the
1890s was related not to the demand logic of industrial capital but the
political
logic of the alliance between Wall Street imperialism and the old Slave
Oligarchy and the need to subdue the revolutionary outpouring released as the
Civil
War and emancipation of millions of slaves. The class demands of the freemen
was to break up the large plantations and construct a modern bourgeois order
and this impulse could not be contained by the Northern Yanks.

It is true that aggressive American fascism in our history could not and did
not assume the military form characteristic of German fascism, but operated
primarily as an organization of extralegal organizations buttressed and
protected by the state. Nor was American fascism related to the industrial
sector of
our capital whose pre and Civil War program was in alignment with Jeffersonian
democracy and supplying the implements for the growth of the family farmers.

It was the rule of Wall Street imperialism - (financial and industrial
capital led by the financial bourgeoisie seeking penetration of the markets of
the
closed colonial system), in political alignment with the shattered Slave
Oligarchy that overthrew the legal bourgeois democratic Reconstruction era
governments of the South. While fascism on European soil was most certainly
related to
the industrial sector of capital as the closed colonial system - hence its
internal military form, this was not true in America.

In America the Southern armies of reaction were defeated on the battle field
and not allowed to regroup as a legal military organization. The Southern army
was horribly shattered and the South laid in ruin. This shattered army of men
became so much riif raff, armed ruffians, bandits or mutherfucking "Jay
Hawkers."  Groups like the Ku Klux Klan was so much of this scum of the earth
and
regrouped as a military strike force against the Reconstruction governments.

Here is how we described the political phenomenon of fascism as American
history 30 years ago:

"Some of the fascist characteristics of the counter revolution were: (1) it
conformed to the description of being the "open terrorist dictatorship of the
most reactionary, most chauvinistic and most imperialist elements of finance
capital."  (2) "The accession to power of fascism is not an ordinary succession
of one bourgeois government by another, but a substitution of one state form
of class domination of the bourgeoisie - bourgeoisie democracy, for another
form - open terrorist dictatorship." (3) "Fascism come to power as a party of
attack on the revolutionary movement of the proletariat, on the masses of the
people who are in a state of unrest; yet it stages its accession to power as a
revolutionary movement against the bourgeoisie on behalf of the whole nation.

"What made up the fascist character of the counter revolution was not simply
its brutality or violence, but the fact that the 'revolt of the poor whites'
cloaked itself in the mantle of saving the South. The fascist led 'revolt' was
the absolute agent of finance capital of the North. The counterrevolution
attacked and overthrew the Reconstruction bourgeois democratic governments.
Then,
the fascist substituted a reign of terror as the new state form of domination
. . .. In the Anglo American nation (North - M.P.) the capitalist in the main
relied on deception, bribery and fraud - in short on bourgeois democracy. This
was not the case in the Black Belt! Here, the rule of finance capital was
maintained by an unheard of reign of terror, legal and extra legal, both by
police and the KKK."

Page 39

"A political force, constructed and funded by finance capital, which
overthrows a legal bourgeois democratic government and substitutes as a state
form the
open terrorist dictatorship of the most reactionary, most chauvinistic
elements of finance capital is called fascist. Such a political state we call
fascism. " http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/pen-l/2003w33/msg00152.htm

(Negro National Colonial Question by Nelson Peery - 1972 edition hardback. )

The black and white masses were locked down under a fascist form of state
rule in the South, that did not undergo fundamental collapse and
reconfiguration
until the 1950's under the impact of the magnificent struggle that broke out
in Montgomery Alabama. This struggle took shape and accelerated on the basis of
the mechanization of agriculture and the liquidation of 11 million s
harecroppers as a class - 5 million black and 6 million white. Changes in the
productive forces - mechanization of agriculture, were the basis for the old
South to
leap forward in its social relations.

The impulse to revolutionize production as a tendency of expanding value took
place in the context of the world wide polarity with Soviet Power. This post
WW II polarity conditioned the struggle in America and provided our class and
diverse peoples with a "breathing space" we no longer possess.

What we are experiencing today is an increasingly reactionary bourgeoisie
democracy attempting transition to a fascist state form of rule. The
distinction
between a reactionary bourgeois democracy and outright fascism is the
distinction in the rising and falling wave of the German Revolution that was
the
assassination of Rosa Luxembourg and Karl L. versus Hitler's consolidating
power
and imperial assaults to regain Germany's imperial throne.

In my estimate the American peoples and our working class are not going to
accept a fascists military form of rule because that runs counter to our
history
and huge fissures in the military establishment are already apparent. A small
section of the military and believe it or not, intelligence is hostile to
fascism as a political form of rule.

Yet, the material logic of our ruling class is to scare the crap out of the
peoples of America and attempt to treat them as the slaves of the pre-Civil War
era and make them stand in fear. A complex struggle unfolds impacting all of
society where you have the Senate's senior Constitutional scholar, Senator
Robert Byrd of West Virginia equating Bush political program to Hitler's
ramming
fascists legislation through the Reichstag.

We have enough material in our own history to explain and describe the
current moment in history and our political currents in details rather than
general
Marxist formula.

Peace

Waistline