On 9/11/20 12:01 PM, Carol Stokes wrote:

Regarding Nagle in general, she's part of a small but growing group of people who refer to themselves (sometimes, for lack of a better description) as post-left. Their argument is that the left has become a petite bourgeois project that is hostile to the working class. I mean... how can you argue with that?

I haven't read Nagle but I've heard a lot about being "hostile to the working class" from Adolph Reed Jr. who refused $2000 from American Affairs because she had written an article there. He referred to her as a fascist but that was an exaggeration. She is a class-reductionist just like him. That's why American Affairs approached him. They are looking for people who cringe at BLM like vampires from a cross. American Affairs, from my brief review of it, is trying to resuscitate nationalism through a mixture of left and right voices. As for the working class, I'll leave it to Steven Salaita to sum up the obsession with it in these circles:

https://stevesalaita.com/regular-people/

Regular people.  Normal people.  Ordinary people.  Average people.  Everyday people.  (No, not the song whose chorus is likely stuck in your head right now.)

The masses.  Salt of the earth.  The working class.

“Regular people.”

“The working class.”

We hear a lot about them in leftist discourses (of the North American variety).  Who are they?  We don’t know.  We only know them as rhetorical devices for online persuasion, as instruments to berate competitors in the marketplace of ideas.

(clip)

View/Reply Online (#1428): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/1428
-=-=-
                    POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
-=-=-
Group Owner: marxmail+ow...@groups.io